|Purpose:||The purpose of this funding opportunity announcement issued by the National Institute of Nursing Research is to stimulate research to examine the interconnections of asthma and obesity. The prevalences of both asthma and obesity have significantly risen in the past few decades. Although the association between these two conditions has been found in many studies, the exact mechanisms for how this association arises are unresolved. Because both of these conditions have their beginnings in early life, an aspect of the association between them that requires more understanding is their common exposures in early life. Studies that investigate the molecular pathways linking asthma and obesity are encouraged. In addition, intervention studies targeting asthma or obesity and their effects on each one, and possible mechanisms of action are encouraged.|
|Receipt Date:||Cycle Due Dates (new submission): Feb. 5, June 5, Oct. 5
Expires: Jan. 8, 2013
|Total Awards:||The number of awards is contingent upon NIH appropriations, and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.|
|Eligibility:||Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.|
Rates of childhood obesity are finally beginning to slow, or even decline, in some communities, and this positive development lends urgency and momentum to childhood obesity research efforts.
In recognition of the start of National Childhood Obesity Awareness month on Sept. 1, the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR) is calling on partners, public health and health care professionals, and others engaged with the movement to show their support for childhood obesity research.
- Connect & Explore: A New Model for Integrating Clinical-Community Systems and Tackling Obesity
- Latest Q&A from NCCOR webinar on childhood obesity declines and disparities
- Get research used: 6 tips for creating infographics for researchers
- NCCOR members explore metrics to express children’s energy expenditure
- NCCOR Connect & Explore Webinar on relationship between childhood obesity declines, disparities
- To find the solution to childhood obesity, NCCOR looks globally
- NCCOR to attend the 8th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference
- Raising the bar: How NCCOR supports researchers
- NCCOR, JPB Foundation form alliance to support Measures Registry