NCCOR explores recent childhood obesity declines research in new webinar
May 6, 2014, NCCOR
Recent data has shown that childhood obesity rates are falling in many communities across the nation. In the latest installment of its Connect & Explore Webinar Series, the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR) is examining the implications of this research, discussing lessons learned from public health leaders in communities experiencing these declines, and considering how these findings can be applied.
Join us at 2 pm, Eastern, on Thursday, June 12, for Connect & Explore: A Deeper Dive into Childhood Obesity Declines.
In just under an hour, we will: explore recent data showing declines in childhood obesity rates; hear insights from representatives of communities where childhood obesity decreases have been reported; and learn how to translate these findings for policy makers and the public. Speakers include:
- Patricia B. Crawford, DrPH, RD, Director, Atkins Center for Weight and Health, University of California at Berkeley
- Tracy Fox, MPH, RD, President, Food, Nutrition & Policy Consultants, LLC
- Lisa Macon Harrison, MPH, Health Director, Granville and Vance Counties, North Carolina
- Genoveva Islas-Hooker, MPH, Regional Program Coordinator, Central California Regional Obesity Prevention Program
Also during our program:
- Get introduced to funding opportunities from those that helped shape and support the funding announcements.
- Hear about hot topics in childhood obesity, such as how USDA is exploring the effect of the food environment on household food purchasing decisions with the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey (FoodAPS).
“Connect & Explore provides a unique platform for participants to hear lessons learned from a variety of leaders in the childhood obesity field including those on the front lines of obesity prevention,” said Laura Kettel Khan, NCCOR steering committee member and senior scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
This event is free but attendance is limited, so tell a friend and register today! Please also consider sharing this information on your social networks using the hashtag #ConnectandExplore. We will also be live tweeting the event so be sure to follow the conversation at @NCCOR. For those who cannot attend, the webinar will be recorded and archived on www.nccor.org.
To receive the webinar access information, you must register for this event:
Register for Connect & Explore: A Deeper Dive into Childhood Obesity Declines
The National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR) brings together four of the nation's leading research funders – the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) – to address the problem of childhood obesity in America.