|Purpose:||The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) established the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI) which funds competitive grants for fundamental and applied research, education, and extension to address food and agricultural sciences. For FY 2014, it is anticipated that approximately $9 million will be made available to support new continuation and standard awards within the Childhood Obesity Prevention Area of AFRI. In the Childhood Obesity Prevention Challenge Area, specific program areas are designed to achieve the long-term outcomes of reducing the prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents. A successful project will include all three functions of the agricultural knowledge system (i.e., research, education and extension) within a project, focused around a problem or issue.
|Receipt Date:||April 17, 2014 (Letter of Intent)
June 19, 2014 (Application Deadline)
|Eligibility:||Eligibility is linked to the project type. See RFP for more information.|
Rates of childhood obesity are finally beginning to slow, or even decline, in some communities, and this positive development lends urgency and momentum to childhood obesity research efforts.
In recognition of the start of National Childhood Obesity Awareness month on Sept. 1, the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR) is calling on partners, public health and health care professionals, and others engaged with the movement to show their support for childhood obesity research.
- Connect & Explore: A New Model for Integrating Clinical-Community Systems and Tackling Obesity
- Latest Q&A from NCCOR webinar on childhood obesity declines and disparities
- Get research used: 6 tips for creating infographics for researchers
- NCCOR members explore metrics to express children’s energy expenditure
- NCCOR Connect & Explore Webinar on relationship between childhood obesity declines, disparities
- To find the solution to childhood obesity, NCCOR looks globally
- NCCOR to attend the 8th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference
- Raising the bar: How NCCOR supports researchers
- NCCOR, JPB Foundation form alliance to support Measures Registry